The 2016 and 2017 ISGS Webinar series are sponsored by FamilySearch
Funeral Homes and Family History: They're Dying to Meet You
- Presenter: Daniel Earl
- Date: October 10, 2017, 8:00 pm Central
- Description: Most genealogists know to look in a cemetery to find their ancestors, but what about the funeral home? Funeral home records can provide loads of genealogically rich information. This presentation will teach participants what types of records are typically found in funeral homes, how to locate these resources online and "in the field", as well as provide real life examples of how to search for ancillary clues in funeral home records.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8619206168660919556
Illinois Gold: Hard to Find But Valuable Prairie State Resources for Genealogical Research
- Presenter: Thomas MacEntee
- Date: November 14, 2017, 8:00 pm Central
- Description: Stuck using the same old resources looking for your Illinois ancestors? Learn how to "mine" an extensive list of archives, libraries, online sites and unusual places and "strike gold" in your search.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5490586515192783362
Ephemera: Genealogy Gold
- Presenter: Sharon S. Atkins
- Date: December 12, 2017, 8:00 pm Central
- Description: Valuable clues about an ancestor’s life are often found by locating different forms of ephemera as well as researching various categories of ephemera. Ephemera can provide a glimpse into the world of your ancestor; whether you find an old postcard, a newspaper article, a graduation program, or something as wonderful as a diary, you can instantly be transported back in time and place to experience your ancestor’s life. Examples of how I researched using ephemera in writing two books; including one which centered on Iowa, Nebraska and Illinois research.
- Registration: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6337734935626870274